Dear MEPN grads,
Just a short note to say congratulations on a job well done. Best of luck to you as you are studying for the NCLEX, participating in job interviews, and starting your new grad positions. All of us, at USD, look forward to staying in touch with you and following each and every one of your nursing careers.
A few things to keep in mind…
- Your USD email is yours for life!
- Join the Hahn School of Nursing group on ‘Linked In’
- Plan to come back to campus for the MEPN Alumni Panel Discussion, in early March, to share your new grad story with the graduating MEPNs. Dr Close will be reaching out to each of you.
- As soon as you obtain your RN license, you are able to apply for your Public Health Nurse (PHN) certificate (no exam required). Contact Amanda Hernandez at: amandaH@sandiego.edu when you are ready and she will guide you through the process.
- When you are ready to sit for the CNL exam, please contact Amanda Hernandez. We offer the exam on site at USD, and Amanda can guide you through the exam application process.
- Don’t forget that MEPN grads make the best lab and clinical faculty. Go out there and get some experience, and then come back to USD to teach in the lab or clinical setting. (Three years’ experience in the acute care setting is required by the BRN so by then you will be ready to ‘pay it forward’ and educate the next generation of nurses.)
- It might be hard to fathom that someday you might consider a PhD in Nursing. I would personally be thrilled to discuss this educational opportunity with you as you think about advancing your professional career. (Please contact me at KathyMarsh@sandiego.edu)
It is a pleasure and an honor to call you ‘colleague’. Welcome to the nursing profession.
Dr. Kathy Marsh, Associate Dean, Hahn School of Nursing, University of San Diego
and the MEPN Team- Dr Jackie Close, Professor Peggy Mata, Dr. Susie Hutchins, Dr Lyn Puhek, and Executive Assistant, Amanda Hernandez.